Hearth & Health Center Auxiliary
The mission of the Hearth and Health Center Auxiliary is to enhance the physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being of the residents of the Health Center (Skilled Nursing Facility) and the Hearth (Residential Care Facility). Receipts from the store help fund projects for the needs of the residents in the Health Center and the Hearth that are not included in the MVGH budget. To view/download the Auxiliary brochure please click here: Auxiliary Brochure
History of the Auxiliary:
The Auxiliary was organized in January 1975 by women from local churches and MVGH residents. A few guests from local civic groups were also among the 63 people at the founding meeting. Their mission statement was: To provide companionship and support services for the Medical Center (now known as our Health Center) residents. Committees were formed for medical aid, sewing, fundraising, crafts, gift card and resident activities. The Hearth was opened in November 1992 and added to the mission of the Auxiliary. The Auxiliary today includes volunteers from MVGH residents and member of nearby churches. From 1986-2012, the Auxiliary has raised a total of $364,998.18! The main source of revenue is currently from the spring and fall events and sales. The annual average raised is over $20,000.
The Grove Store Location:
Clothing/Shoes & Odd n’ Ends Store–Located in C57:
Vintage clothing and shoes, pictures puzzles, household items, knick knacks.
Park on San Pasqual and walk in through Driveway C.
The Grove Store Hours:
The Grove Store is open on the
1st Saturday of the month 9 am – 12 pm
3rd Wednesday of the month 1 pm – 4 pm
(September – May)
What we have: Quality heirloom items including silver, crystal, china, small appliances, as well as seasonal and specialty items. Hundreds of books including religion, fiction, poetry, biography, history, politics, mysteries, children’s, and beautiful coffee table books. Excellent women’s clothing and shoes neatly displayed and ready to wear. If you would like to donate items to The Grove Store, call Bev Grant at 626.577.2959 to arrange a convenient delivery time or, for smaller donations, there is a drop off bin located on the east side of C57.
The support of the Health Center & Hearth Auxiliary has played a vital role in developing and maintaining a comfortable, homelike, environment in both levels of care. The countless volunteer hours that the Auxiliary and their recruits have donated to make this possible are deelply appreciated. To date the Auxiliary has donated $166,232 for special projects. The Auxiliary contributes approximately $1,200 a month to cover expenses such as:
- Fish tank maintenance in the Health Center
- Netflix subscription and periodicals (Hearth & Health Center)
- Therapeutic massage for Health Center residents who cannot afford this service
- ADA Bathing System
- MVGH Quality of Life Endowment
- Health Center upgrades (flooring, sliding doors, nursing staff break room)
- Resident Scale & Lift for Health Center
- New Chairs for the Hearth
- Wellness Center equipment
- Bedside phone service for the Health Center & Hearth residents
- Automatic doors to Marwick Place
- Flat panel TV’s Health Center resident rooms
- New tables, chairs and flooring for the Health Center Activity Room
- Satellite TV System for the Health Center & Hearth
Donations & Volunteering:
Our Auxiliary accepts donations of new or gently used items. Volunteers are crucial to the success of the Auxiliary. Opportunities include sorting, organizing, pricing, displaying & store operations. We are always looking for volunteers. Some of the ways you can help:
- Make a monetary donation
- Volunteer your time in daily operations: sorting, pricing, organizing.
- Volunteer at one of our spring or fall events
- Donate gifts in-kind
- Donate new or gently used items to the stores