Independent Living FAQs

What are the requirements/qualifications to be a resident?

A Minister, missionary, Certified Christian Educator, Certified Musician Associate, Commissioned Lay Pastor, and/or spouse. One must have served the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in a “called” position for 20 years or more to apply for residency at MVGH. Applications may be submitted for review after reaching the age of 62. Qualified applicants are welcome to move on campus once they reach the age of 65.

How do I apply?

Contact Monte Vista Grove Homes (MVGH) office and request an application. Or click here for the forms Application, Eligibility and Admission Criteria, and Service Record. Complete and return the application along with your record of service. We will confirm your years of service with the Board of Pensions and submit your application to our Resident Relations Committee and Board of Trustees for approval. We will notify you of the Board’s action. If you are ready to move within 18 months, you will need to start the process soon by planning to visit MVGH and tour available apartments. If you are planning further into the future, we will put you on our waiting list and contact you by mail each year to obtain an update on your retirement plans. Contact us at (626) 796-6135 for more information.

About how many residents are there in the independent living?

Approximately 140 retirees live in the 94 apartment residential campus.

Are pets welcome?

Yes, pets on a leash are welcome to visit. Owners are responsible to “clean up” (inside or out) and keep their pet under control.

Can residents have guests at meal time?

Yes! With 30 minutes notice, we can provide guest meals.

I have more questions, who do I ask?

Contact the Office Manager, Nancy Lain, at (626) 796-6135 OR Executive Director, Deborah Herbert, at (626) 796-6135, Monday through Friday during normal business hours.